Tuesday, April 1, 2014

Luca's new cast

Luca got his long leg cast taken off yesterday. He was thrilled to get it off. His new cast is white and blue and goes to below the knee. It looks so tiny compared to the last cast. Luca's leg is quite weak and he is not walking independently yet. He needs someone to spot him anytime he is on his feet (literally arms around him every step). We still have the wheel chair and he has been using it at school and some of the time at the house. Luca is determined, of course, to walk and very internally motivated. We are hoping that he will get more stable soon. I should have realized that it would be so hard for him to walk but I didn't.  We are thankful that his new cast is much lighter and Luca can bend his knee and stand more easily. We were also able to give him a bath holding his leg up while he lays in the bathtub. First bath in 6 weeks. He looks and smells good!!
This evening I said, "Luca please look up so I can take a picture of you to put on the blog with your new cast." Luca said, "no, don't take a picture. If people want to see my new cast they have to come visit me." I think this kid likes visitors:) I took the picture anyway for all of those of you who won't see us in the next two weeks. Thank you to all of you who have come over these last many weeks! He will be excited to show off his cast when he sees you next.

Luca also loved April Fool's Day. I am thankful he didn't learn about it till this evening and was joking from then till bedtime. He said "I don't want this day to end! I love the jokes!" Our neighbor Jake got him with, "Our neighborhood is out of hot water" This was just before Luca had to take his first bath....panic....April Fools! I think we will have to watch out next year...I have a feeling he is not going to forget this funny day!

Here are a few pictures of Juliette looking at books, how she starts every day. And then after bath. Below are the pictures of Luca's new cast!





1 comment:

  1. Oh my goodness, Juliette looks like Grandma in these pictures!!! So cute!!! That is great about the cast and bath!!! Oliver was very sad this morning and said "April Fools is over and I didn't even get to play any good tricks on anyone yesterday!" So he tried to trick my mom when she came over this morning. :-)

    ReplyDelete