Friday, March 28, 2014

last few days in the cast

We are counting down the days maybe the hours of Luca's long leg cast coming off. We are on the home stretch but it feels like sometimes that last last mile in the marathon is the hardest part right? Well, I am feeling that way right now. We are almost there but these last days are tough! Yesterday, I made the terrible mistake of trying to do the day like I did when Luca was walking...what was I thinking. (too many activities, went to the Pet store, toy store with my dad and Juliette and Luca, visited Luca at school with Juliette, not enough rest time and Juliette didn't nap.) Learned my lesson, won't do that again. Thankfully my parents were here to help too. Can't wait till Monday afternoon!!!

One cool story: The other day I came up the stairs in the morning to find Luca in the kitchen with his hand splints and AFO on sitting in his wheel chair....does this kid have superpowers or what? Questions race through my mind. How did he get out of bed? Into his wheel chair? And wheel himself to the kitchen with his hand splints on? I made him tell me about it.
He said, "well, it took me while...I rolled out of my bed...scooted to my wheelchair, held my wheel chair with one arm so it wouldn't roll away from me and pushed with my one leg and pulled with my arm over the chair and rolled myself in to the chair. Then I used my foot to roll myself forward because I have these hand splints on....oh, I also dropped a letter for a friend, that I wedged between the wall and my toes in my AFO and squeezed my toes down to hold the letter tight then I brought the letter to my mouth and got it onto my lap."
"wow" I said, "that is incredible"
I am not sure my words describe the situation very well, but Luca never stops surprising me with his creative adaptions to make things that seem impossible, possible for him!

I am slowly learning to never say never with Luca pertaining to him having arthrogyposis or even this long leg cast.

A few highlights of the week...Amy and Gus taking Luca to the aquarium all afternoon!!! Thank you Amy!
Another highlight my dad taking Luca on errands, buying him a baseball bat and a ball and then watching Luca play hit the ball in his wheel chair 10 times in a row! Again, never say never with this kid. And what a special time with Popeye!
My mom was reading him Little House on the Prairie last night and Luca got such a kick out of this song:
"Old Dan Tucker was a fine old man;
 He washed his face in a the frying pan,
He combed his hair with a wagon wheel,
And felt the toothache in his heel.
Git out of the way for Old Dan Tucker.
He's too late to get his supper.
Supper's over and the dishes washed,
 Nothing left but a piece of squash.
Old Dan Tucker went to town,
riding a mule, leading a houn'"

He just laughed and laughed....and asked my mom to sing it for John as soon as John came home from work.

Thank you to all of those who have visited, bought or sent cards, or gifts, or come to visit! These things have all be HUGELY helpful during post surgery 6 weeks!!!!

Luca playing with his favorite thing...mud




 Came out of his room scooting his animals behind him.


 Playing with clay from Auntie Cindy!!! Thank You!
 blowing bubbles by himself! Thank you Phil and Holle for the bubbles and gifts!

Juliette enjoying a 60 degree sunny day...what does she do, while Luca plays with the dirt? She strips and runs around...

1 comment:

  1. LOL I love that Juliette strips down in 60 degree weather!!! Luca is amazing! That is so awesome he was able to get himself into his chair, alone! Wow!!! We can't wait to spend time with you guys this summer!!!

    ReplyDelete